Missing teeth can lead to low self-esteem and social embarrassment since being presentable is crucial in this image-conscious world. Apart from aesthetic concerns, missing teeth also lead to malocclusion and several other dental problems. Thankfully, dentists can help you overcome this challenge through porcelain bridges.
The family dentist in Denver and the team offer comprehensive procedures to fabricate porcelain bridges with excellent patient compliance and satisfaction.
What is a porcelain bridge?
A porcelain bridge is a tooth-colored prosthetic device that offers excellent teeth replacement. It is usually made up of porcelain fused with metal. Unlike removable prosthetic devices like dentures, porcelain bridges are cemented to the teeth or to an implant surrounding the empty space.
This type of bridge consists of crowns that are placed over anchoring teeth (abutment teeth) and are attached to pontics (artificial teeth), filling the gap created by one or more missing teeth.
When is a porcelain bridge indicated?
A porcelain fixed bridge is most often recommended due to the following reasons:
- Fills the spaces of your missing teeth
- Helps maintain your facial shape and structure
- Prevents drifting or displacement of other teeth
- Restores the chewing and speaking ability
- Restores your smile and enhances your appearance
- Upgrades your removable partial denture to a permanent prosthesis
What is the procedure involved in fabricating a porcelain bridge?
You can expect the following during the bridge fabrication:
- Your dentist will evaluate your mouth and the space created by the missing teeth.
- Anchoring teeth will be prepared by removing a portion of the enamel to allow space for the crown.
- Your dentist will record a highly accurate impression (mold), which is sent to the dental lab for fabrication of the bridge.
- Meanwhile, a temporary bridge will be placed until you get your permanent bridge.
- Your newly fabricated bridge will be carefully evaluated for fit, adjusted accordingly, and fixed using dental cement.
- Once your treatment concludes, you will be given all the aftercare instructions.
What are the benefits of porcelain bridges?
Dental bridges offer the following advantages:
- Offer a natural replacement for missing teeth
- Preserves the integrity of the remaining teeth
- Offer permanent solutions
- Highly durable and long-lasting with proper care
- Preserves the health of your jawbone
A fixed dental bridge helps to replace your missing teeth since it looks aesthetically unpleasant and affects your occlusion. Proper brushing, flossing, and regular dental visits will help enhance the durability and lifespan of your permanent bridge.