If you run a factory or warehouse, building maintenance is an important aspect of keeping the work environment in good shape and this short article, we offer a few tips on commercial roof maintenance.
- The importance of regular roof inspections – As you would expect, it is next to impossible to view a warehouse roof in its entirety from a ground-level perspective; therefore, you need to have regular roof inspections from a specialist company such as PRC Building Services, who provide a detailed report on the status of your roof. This is something you should do every 6 months to make sure that your roof is up to the task.
- Cleaning out guttering – The guttering serves a very important role, as it provides an escape route for excess rainwater; when you have your commercial roof inspected, cleaning out the guttering would be included and should there be any issues, prompt repairs should be the order of the day.
- Sealing the roof – If you wish to extend the life of your warehouse roof, consider having it sealed with a silicone product. If done correctly, the sealant is flexible, allowing the roof to move. Talk to a leading commercial roofing specialist about sealants and let the experts show you the many benefits. Before sealing, the contractor would power wash the roof to remove dirt and grime, and then several coats of silicone are sprayed, sealing the roof.
- Ventilation – Your warehouse should have a flow of air, which can be provided by rotating roof ventilation features. These need to be cleaned regularly in order to be effective; some have extractor fans set into the roof and the blades should be cleaned at regular intervals.
- Checking for leaks – A leaking roof will eventually cause damage and with regular inspections, you can discover minor leaks and repair them before they cause any damage. Storm damage is a very real threat to a commercial roof and after a bout of heavy weather, you should carry out a thorough inspection.
Of course, the older the building, the more likely it is that remedial work needs to be carried out and with the help of a local commercial roofing contractor, you can cost-effectively maintain your roof. If you would like to learn more about commercial roof maintenance, search online for an established commercial roofing contractor and ask them to send an expert to survey your commercial property.